Friday, July 31, 2020

"I Trust the American Voter"



If you hear a politician of any stripe utter those words, know them to be a rogue. A lying liar.

I'm not even sure that they are premeditated liars. Worse! They lie to themselves. As in, they belief their own bullshit. Rare to the human condition. Right?

Here's how I get that. From my vantage I've been seeing an ongoing concerted and multi-fronted campaign to frame our thinking about what's what. By politicians and the news media. Nothing new. Social-political leaders have been doing that since day one. Keep the folks happy and in line.

I believe from the kinds of things I've been hearing that the bar has been set real low. Innuendo, supposition, speculation, opinion, hypotheticals, they're are passed off as facts. People and events are no longer stated as just what they are, they're cloaked with negative modifiers based on inferred motives. This or that hasn't just happened, it happened because I think this is what the no-good SOB is up to, or understood from where we think their coming from.

It's so full of obvious bias and slant. It really looks to me like the purveyors of all that bullshit hold us, the hoi polloi, as dumb fucks to be manipulated with outrageous and trickily crafted propagandizing.

I'm not so sure they're not right about that the American public is not that swift and can indeed be herded into pens of manufactured opinions. From the kinds of things going on in the news with all the rioting and cockamamie ideas about abolishing the police and reconstructing history to eliminate past errors I'm not all that impressed with the perspicacity of my fellow citizens.

So, here's the deal. If anyone says they trust the people who they have so brazenly and cynically been pumping up with self-serving propaganda, doesn't that strike you as hypocritical? It does me. Downright dishonest.

Pay attention.

No comments: