Sunday, May 14, 2023

My Life is Played in Beatles Songs

Imagine that! The Beatles got it right. Got me, all right!

There's a place in Central Park in New York City called Strawberry Fields. Yoko was instrumental in the creation of that memorial garden soon following John's death.

When I worked on the Upper East Side on nice days I would walk to home on the Upper West Side through Central Park. I liked to pause and sit and watch the passing parade on one of the benches at the entrance to the Park at West 72nd Street, just opposite the Dakota Apartments. John and Yoko lived there. That spot was also the entrance to Strawberry Fields.

Prominent at that peaceful oasis there on the walkway is a large mosaic, circular and with "IMAGIN" prominently in the center.

On a quiet weekday once around the time that Strawberry Fields was newly created I visited, and was alone there. I stepped to the center of that mosaic. Imagine! A surge of energy went through me, like a rocket ship. I think it made a swooshing sound. Powerful. Unexpected. Surprising. And, then, that was that. Nothing more to say. There I was. Must've been a life changing moment. Don't ask me how. I don't know. Just an amazing experience.

One other time I was sitting alone with no one around except a young mother nursing her baby on the bench opposite me. I never before, or since, saw such a lovely thing as that. 

I just got it! Those Beatles. In my life! Again.









No comments:

Five basic qualities of the nature of mind ~ Kalu Rinpoche

~ Kalu Rinpoche Five basic qualities of the nature of mind:  "Empty, luminous, and infinite in potential, mind can be understood as ha...