Monday, September 07, 2020

 Mea Culpa



I have had a long time, habitual thrown tendency to tell people what's what, and what to do, how it is. It's the native teacher instinct in me. A talent. But, not always appreciated. Or, applied appropriately.

To put it short and sweet: Excuuuuuse Me!!!

Problem is this: If you gonna be a teacher, there needs to be a student. Someone asking for an answer, willing to listen, to apply the lesson. When you have both, there's a contract. One offers, the other receives. Clear cut, unambiguous. Agreement.

BTW there's that maxim: You don't teach what you haven't learned. You know that infuriating thing that people who have it over you [parents, bosses] say, "Don't do as I do, do as I say!"


Then there's — in my case, mostly so — when there ain't no student. You go around having an answer to a question no one is asking, sort of thing. No student, no teacher.


That lesson, student-me has had a long time in the learning. Very frustrating. Especially so when I went all in on a profession which is essentially educational, which operationally casts me in the role of teacher.  It's something I know is inestimably valuable, but no one doesn't. Seemingly. Or, doesn't even want to consider knowing, if I may put it in a way which shows some of my pique. Or, hasn't so far; you never know when the tables will turn. [Then I could be inundated with takers. Mixed blessing.]


Bottom line for me — maybe for you too, if I may go right into it and try to teach you something [See, there I go again.] about what it is that keeps you stuck in such a pattern. Any pattern, really. Just this, about my own experience, as an example.


You have to learn to let go. Of what. Well, everything. But, baby steps. Let go first of the urge to tell someone how it is, or what to do. Now, don't get me wrong. If a piano is gonna fall down on someone's head, yes, do say something. In cases like that, it's not only the right thing to do, it's the required thing to do. But, be advised ... better make sure you're crystal clear in a situation of such extremis.


You know the story of how Donald Duck died, don't you ...




While, granted, it is true he pridefully misconstrued the communication, but just to illustrate the need for clarity.

Yes, just to let go. Getting there may take some doing, however. Wanting to say something may feel like a necessity. But, it really is just a feeling you have come to interpret as a necessity. An urge. An itch that needs to be scratched. So, I have to ask, who put that feeling and that idea together in the first place? You! And you[!] can sever the connection. 

First you have to see the situation operating within yourself. When you do, see it, then you can do something about it. But, not until you are honest with yourself, and see what's really there. Then you have to be willing to break out of that ingrained feedback loop where a thought triggers a feeling, then that feeling triggers that thought, and so on. You're stuck there ... until you get out of it. So, get out of it. [Yes, I know. I be telling y'all what to do. So call me pisher.]

I'm not gonna go any further on that point. You first have to want to make the necessary change. I'm not here to give advice like we're in a cocktail party conversation; just to blow hot air at you. I think what I had to say makes sense. See for yourself. Or, if you want to stay the way you are; fine, be that way. I once met the newsman Edwin Newman. I pitched him Rolf Structural Integration. I thought as a journalist he would take interest. No. "I'll stay just the way I am." Okay, Ed. Be that way. But, not even interested in learning about it? C'mon, man! Journalist, are you? Oh, well. Like I said, not everyone is your customer.

Just to add there's a new wrinkle having come into the current zeitgeist. Seems that what ever you may say, or do, if someone takes offense for any reason, then you be bad. Mashugana situation, I'd say. But that be the times we live in. The PC police are out in force. Keep low. Keep your yap shut. 

Nothing left to do but trust. You ain't in charge of the world you should know. Trust, especially when there's no one willing to listen to what you have to say anyway. 

Live and let live. It's corny. But, age old truth.

So did you find yourself reading to this point? Thank you if you did. If you didn't, then how come you're reading this? What's up with that?




Here's something more on the aforementioned subject from a good source:

"Spiritual maturity lies in the readiness to let go everything. The giving up is the first step. But the real giving up is in realizing that there is nothing to give up."

~ Nisargadatta

More on that nothing to give up ...

"The Self is not to be found as a prize at the end of a long journey. It is not produced or created. It is, in fact, a discovery, a recognition. There can seem to be obstacles that block you from this revelation,
but these are only what you give attention and importance to. It is only a shadow, for these obstacles do not really exist other than through belief.

You have all the power to discard them and keep your peace. So to begin, start where you want to finish.
Start at the finishing line, at what is naturally present,
what is already here, at the place where you do not need to maintain or sustain anything. There you will discover that what you are searching for is your own inseparable Self."


~ Mooji

No comments:

๐ˆ๐๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ

  "Who am I?" That ultimate question is one for which there can be no answer. The question dissolves the questioner; the false sen...