Friday, August 20, 2021

Buddha Delights

Buddha Delights



You know how they say, if you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him?

Well, I'm a lover, not a fighter.

True story.

Once on a trip to Sedona, Arizona we visited the Chapel of the Cross near there. Must see when you're in the neighborhood.

So there we are in our car in the parking lot. I had just learned about the Vajra Guru Mantra. The Vajra Guru Mantra is the very heart essence of Padmasambhava. It is said that when is recited one-pointedly Guru Padmasambhava cannot fail to respond.

Look it up. Great stuff. Word.

This is the Vajra Guru Mantra:

Om Ah Hum Vajra Guru Padma Siddhi Hum

Once again, look it up. You may want to know what it means. Just to say it's the cornerstone mantra in Tibetan Buddhism.

So there we are in Sedona and — Mirabile visu — there's a group of Tibetan monks passing by. I politely call out from my driver's seat window and ask one of them to answer my question. "How do you say Om Ah Hum Vajra Guru Padma Siddhi Hum?"

Happy to oblige, the monk clearly says, “Om Ah Hung Benza Guru Pรฉma Siddhi Hung”. I repeat it to be sure I got it right. I got it right.

A few things, then the clincher. Pointing out how we're at this Catholic church, with a cross prominently featured at the front, and visible from the inside through a large expanse of glass. Jesus, please, I only mean well.

My friend was visiting from New York and the trip to Sedona was planned as one of the stops we wanted to be sure he had a chance to visit. Again, must go if you're anywhere in the neighborhood.

Now get this. Said friend is a long-time and deeply committed devotee of Siddha Yoga. Look that up too. I have been a follower of Siddha Yoga for some time by then. Michele too. In fact she and I met at the ashram.
Being a spiritual school, Siddha Yoga has a mantra. It's called the Namah Mantra. I received the Mantra from Swami Muktananda. He was the vanguard in spreading the message "Meditate" to the West. Look it up. Pick it up.

It needs to also be mentioned about our guest from Siddha Yoga. He was part of a group of devotees who sponsored Muktananda to come to the United States. He is a distinguished elder in the Siddha Yoga sangam [community]. Dear and wonderful man. A real mensch.

So here's my Siddha Yoga friend seeing me picking up on a mantra from some other school. I have no idea what was going on in his mind. If anything. He's a Yogi after all. Just like with the Buddhists, No-Mind is central in Siddha Yoga too. Maybe, though, not is those same words.

So, now, here's the funny, delightful part. The car we were driving. A Mercedes Benz.

"Benz" — "Benza". Get it? Sweet, huh?

I'm writing this since just today, after many moons, I got the connection. Just, wow! Buddha. What a guy. Jesus, what can I say. Muktananda ... Sadgurunath Maharaj Ke Jay!

So what is the message here? Drive a Mercedes Benz. All the big guns in the spiritual realm will be pleased. I'm sure there's more to take away. But, do I have to do all your lifting? 




No comments:

๐ˆ๐๐ž๐ง๐ญ๐ข๐ญ๐ฒ

  "Who am I?" That ultimate question is one for which there can be no answer. The question dissolves the questioner; the false sen...