Tuesday, April 03, 2018

The Boy Who Wouldn't Eat His Beans


It's really that simple. He just wouldn't eat beans. Not a bean. Not a one.

One wonders. If he was my kid, you know what I'd do? He'd get a bowl of beans for breakfast. A bowl of beans for lunch. A bowl of beans for dinner. Snacks too.

He'd come around. They say hunger is the best sauce. 

When my daughters were just barely old enough to talk in complete sentences the older girl at dinner one time said, "I don't like that!" As in, "I'm not gonna eat that!" I saw the younger one take that in and promptly add, "Me too!"

My simple response: "Who said you had to like it?" Never a complaint again.

Now, that boy may have some chemical reaction to beans. [We all do. If you know what I'm talking about ... and, you do.] You know, that old jingle about "magical fruit" and "toot". But, I think the bean thing for that young pup might just as well likely have been his rebellious stance.

The parent might inquire directly, "Is this refusal to eat beans some sort of juvenile contrariness you're acting out?" But, who is so psychologized with their children to speak like that?

Why, in my day it would be, "Eat your beans!" Done. ["Has Beans."]

No comments: