Sunday, February 08, 2015

Mr. Kay and His Broadway Barber Shop

 Painting "Broadway Barbershop III" Max Ferguson (1959)

The Broadway Barber Shop was started in 1904. Located on Broadway between 103 and 104th Streets in what is called the Upper West Side of Manhattan. It's last proprietor Kyriacos Demetriou, spoken to by all as Mr. Kay, served customers with rare distinction for 40 years until his retirement in 1996. 

The antique fixtures were donated to the Museum of the City of New York.

When I lived on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in the 1980s I walked the 18 blocks to have my hair cut by Mr. Kay. I wore it very short then, and Mr. Kay once disclosed he had cut Yul Brynner's hair. Among other luminaries. After he finished he would take a stiff bristle brush and vigorously give my scalp a massage. Very eye opening. Illuminating. 

Nearly every time he finished my hair cut he would proudly remove the cover sheet with a flourish and grandly state, "Now you look like a Prince!" Well, I was flattered. Then one time as I waited my turn, he said to the fellow ahead of me, "Now you look like a Prince!" It was stock boilerplate. I smile every time I remember that. 

Mr. Kay died at age 80 in 1999. Read a glowing tribute here.

Mr. Kay was an institution. Lots of press. Even cartoons in the New Yorker. Opera always on the radio. Old school fellow, alway impeccably groomed. Remember vividly once seeing him uncovering his barber pole sign out in front in the morning.

1 comment:

j.d. edwards said...

As a barber of 47 yrs. I love this! Very interesting watching this gentleman at work in his shop. I'm afraid if I tried to work along side him, his music would drive me up the wall however! Lol. But I have never barbered anywhere but Texas, so opera is not common around my parts. Lol. Would love to travel up that way sometime and meet some old school barbers and hear about barbering from a New York city perspective. Thanks for this great video! J.D.