Thursday, July 02, 2020

Sacrosanctimony

Sacrosanctimony

So we have now got woke that like the old adage went ... we may in fact live in interesting times.

So many different angles for our inquiring lens to focus. So much seeing the same thing; and one sees white, the other black.

Sure, it's a duality. Yin and Yang. Up and down. Good and bad. But, geez! It's like we've gravitated to the extreme outer edges of that polarity. The politicians. Well, they make their bread and butter creating, then exploiting real and imagined differences. The 2020 election is interesting. The theme: "Which one is the less worse?"

My better angels advise to let it go. The world is a duality. Conceptual too. Sorry if that bursts your bubble. Conceptual. As in, made up. Not real. Now, what to do? Time to look into the Perennial Questions. 

After all is said and done there may not really be a final utopian settled place and time where everybody gets along and it all works great for everyone, all the time. Honestly, the world isn't for that. The conflict is grist for the mill wheretofore we have the incentive to liberate ourselves from the Pharaoh's bondage.

But, hey. I like to have my hand in it anyway. It passes the time. And, I like the challenge of setting things down in words. It keeps my wits about me. Oh, you say; I'm only half right about that.

I'm thinking about how some topics are so held in such unflinching regard that they are beyond even a hinted whisper of criticism.

Like Black Lives Matter — BLM. Hey, Black Lives Matter! The Bureau of Land Management wants its acronym back!

I don't pretend to know the whole of the Black Lives Matter deal. I believe it's a statement about how in society Black lives don't in fact matter. It's an affirmation. Of course, we also have the riposte, All Lives Matter. Both true. Perhaps, though, the former needs be stressed more; brought to the forefront.

Now I'm reading that BLM is just a clever rallying cry manipulating the Black community by Marxist plotters and schemers. 

But, it's a little like my boss at my first school days job instructed. It was a butcher shop stall in a large indoor market. There were other such stalls. It was competitive. I enjoyed hawking the customers.

Once I tried this: "Hey, lady, our meat is really fresh!" The boss immediately tuned me up about saying that. Simply put, by asserting the meat is fresh, it brings up the [ah, here's that duality in action] possibility that it's not ... fresh.

BTW. Speaking of fresh. I was a freshy. Once when a customer asked if the Beef Liver was tender, taking a cue from what the boss would often say; I exclaimed, "Lady, that Liver is as tender as your mother's heart!" Struck a nerve. She turned around and hightailed it out of there. As she receded into the distance, "My mother's heart ain't tender ... goddammit, son of bitch!" Unforgettable.

So on that point regarding BLM, maybe by asserting Black Lives Matter there's the implicit meta message that they don't matter. Of course, that's there. Just that I'm not sure harping on a negative, however veiled, gets results. Like I said to my ex-wife, "You don't love me!" So, she finally agreed. 

Did I make my point?

The button on all this is that by sticking my stick in this mud, there are plenty of folks who would say that I'm racist in my point of view. It's an arguable point. But some would also say it's racist to just be discussing it. For even mentioning it at all.

That's what about the sacrosanctimony thing. As in, so much so, you dern't not mention it. Well, I did. Call me pisher.


No comments: